Background: Transverse vaginal septum is among the rarest form of female genital tract anomaly that arise from faulty canalization of the urogenital sinus and mullerian ducts. The clinical presentation and time of diagnosis depends on whether the septum is perforated or not. Some women with partial transverse vaginal septum are asymptomatic until first diagnosed during pregnancy or in labor.
Case presentation: This is a 19 years old primigravida lady, come with pushing down pain of 3 hours at 40+1 weeks. Her antenatal care follow up was uneventful. She had no dyspareunia. Up on pelvic examination there was transverse vaginal septum with 1cm central opening. She gave birth by cesarean section.
Conclusion: Cesarean section in early labor is a reasonable management option for women with transverse vaginal septum first recognized in early labor.
Transverse Vaginal Septum, Cesarean Section, Early Labor
2. Laufer, M.R., R.L. Barbieri, and S.J. Falk, Diagnosis and management of congenital anomalies of the vagina. UptoDate [updated Jun 10, 2009], 2013.
3. Blanton, E.N. and D.J. Rouse, Trial of labor in women with transverse vaginal septa. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2003. 101(5): p. 1110-1112.
4. REED, M.H. and N.T. GRISCOM, Hydrometrocolpos in infancy. American Journal of Roentgenology, 1973. 118(1): p. 1-13.
5. Ara, S. and S. Tahir, Diagnosis and management of congenital anomalies of vagina. Annals of Punjab Medical College (APMC), 2011. 5(2): p. 124-129.
6. LEVIN, N. and N. LAYZEQUILLA, Transverse Vaginal Septum—A Rare Cause of Dystocia of Labor: Report of a Case. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 1963. 22(2): p. 237-239.
7. Türkçapar, F., et al., Transverse Upper Vaginal Septum Obstructing Labor: A Case Report. Gynecology Obstetrics & Reproductive Medicine, 2012. 18(1): p. 42-44.
8. Cetinkaya, K. and Y. Kumtepe, Perforated transverse vaginal septum: a rare case of müllerian duct anomaly presenting only primary infertility. Fertility and sterility, 2008. 90(5): p. 2005. e11-2005. e13.
9. Varras, M., et al., Double vagina and cervix communicating bilaterally with a single uterine cavity: report of a case with an unusual congenital uterine malformation. The Journal of reproductive medicine, 2007. 52(3): p. 238-240.
10. Üstün, Y., et al., A case of transverse vaginal septum diagnosed during labor. Erciyes Medical Journal, 2005. 27(3): p. 136-138.
11. Scutiero, G., et al., Management of transverse vaginal septum by vaginoscopic resection: hymen conservative technique. Revista Brasileira de Ginecologia e Obstetrícia, 2018. 40: p. 642-646.
12. Lozano, R., et al., Progress towards Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 on maternal and child mortality: an updated systematic analysis. The lancet, 2011. 378(9797): p. 1139-1165.
13. BOWMAN Jr, J.A. and R.B. SCOTT, Transverse vaginal septum: report of four cases. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 1954. 3(4): p. 441-446.