BACKGROUND: Vaginal bleeding during childhood is always abnormal,rare and warrants diagnostic evaluation. Leech bites are a recognized cause of bleeding from any human orifice upon exposure to water which is infested with leeches.The definitive diagnosis relies on meticulous history taking, as well as a judicious examination including speculum examination. A high level of suspicion is necessary to make the diagnosis.
CASE DETAILS: A 3 years old young girl presented with vaginal bleeding of 1 weeks duration on 28/10/2016 to Jimma university Hospital Medical Center,Ethiopia.On examination, she had normal vital signs and blood soaked vulva, there was a dark moving worm in vaginal introits with instillation of saline into the vagina. The leech was removed from the vagina with help of suction tube and She was discharged with good condition on the 2ndpost procedure day.
CONCLUSION: Vaginal leech infestation in children can cause Life-threatening conditions from failure or delay in making the diagnosis and management. In addition, the importance of instillation of saline to vagina not only used for treatment;it can also used for diagnosis in children with intact hymen and where pediatrics speculum is not available.
vaginal leech infestation, chilchildhood vaginal bleeding
1. Hans Habtai, Tadesse Teclebirhan, Berhe Hebtezghi, Jacob Mufunda. Vaginal Bleeding In 6 Years Old Young Female: Diagnostic Challenge. Journal of Eritrean Medical Association. http://www.ajol.info/index.php/jema/article/download/52122/40750
2. Temesgen Tilahun. Vaginal Leech Infestation: A Rare Cause of Hypovolumic Shock In Postmenopausal Woman. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2015;25:377-80.
3. Kibreab Asrat. Leech as a cause of abnormal vaginal bleeding: Presentation of three cases in adults. Journal of Eritrean Medical Association.http://www.ajol.info/index.php/jema/article/download/52122/40750
4. DR AYENEW BELAY,DR MEKONNEN AYICHILUHM. A CASE REPORT; LEECH AS A CAUSE OF VAGINAL BLEEDING IN POST MENAUPOSAL WOMAN: ASIAN ACADEMIC RESEARCH JOURNAL OF MULTIDISCIPLINARY. www.asianacademicresearch.org
5. Jan Paradise, Stephen J Teach, James F Wiley. Evaluation of vaginal bleeding in children and adolescents: update21.2,Apr 6, 2012.
6. Amir Hossein Jafari Rouhi, Saman Vegari, Samad Shams Vahdati, Davod Porhosein, Ghazaleh Davarnia. Nasopharyngeal Bleeding due to Leech Bites in a 9-monthold Infant: Indian Journal of Pediatrics 2010; 77: 573-4.
7. Behçet AL, Mehmet Emin YENEN, Mustafa ALDEMİR. Rectal bleeding due to leech bite: a case report: Turkish Journal of Trauma & Emergency Surgery 2011;17:83-86.
8. Md. Jafrul Hannan, Md. Mozammel Hoque. Leech Infestation in Children Through Body Orifices: Experience in a Hospital in Bangladesh: World J Surg 2012;36:2090–92.
9. Demeke Mekonnen. Leech Infestation: The Unusual Cause of Upper Airway Obstruction. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2013;23:65–68.